Sunday Morning Splash [SMS] # 1: Casting for The Night Circus
I was smitten by this book a month or so ago and thought I should start my SMS series with it. There were quite a few characters to cast and I had a fair number of actors already playing the roles in my mind. (Find the review here). For the others, I had to scour the internet for suitable matches. But here's the final cast list:
1. Hector Bowen/ Prospero the Enchanter: The narcissistic, self-centered illusionist/magician who believes that magic should be taught to only those who are born with it. Played by Gary Oldman.
2. Celia Bowen: The gifted, beautiful, intelligent daughter of Hector Bowen, who has been thrust into the game being played between her father and Mr. Alexander. Played by Ellen Page.
3. Alexander H.: The mysterious magician, Hector's rival and Marco Alisdair's mentor. He is adept at melting into the shadows and not being remembered by anyone if he doesn't want to be. Played by Alfred Molina.
4. Marco Alisdair: An orphan chosen by Alexander to be his apprentice and a rival to Celia. He isn't magical by birth but relies on runes and written spells for his magic. Played by Pierre Boulanger.
5. Isobel Martin: Marco's girlfriend who joins the Circus as a fortune teller. She's in love with Marco but is devastated to find he doesn't love her back. Played by Mia Wasikowska.
6. Young Penelope (Poppet) Murray: She's the one who safely escorts Bailey out of the circus when he breaks in on a dare.
7. Poppet Murray (Age 16): Bailey's friend and love interest, one of the only two children in the Night Circus who seem to age. She has the power to see the future. Played by Dakota Fanning.
8. Bailey Clarke: He's the boy who's supposed to save the Circus according to Poppet's visions. Frustrated by the life chalked out for him by his father, he runs away at 16 to join the Nigh Circus. Played by Jake T. Austin.
9. Herr Friedrick Stefan Thiessen: He's the clockmaker who falls in love with the Night Circus and whose reviews spawn a cult of followers of the Circus called the Reveurs. Played by Sir Michael Caine.
10. Ethan Barris: The engineer employed by Chandresh Christophe Lefevre, the proprietor of The Night Circus. Mr. Barris is one of the founders of the circus and is, at least in part, responsible for some of the tents in the circus. Played by Tom Wilkinson.
11. Tante Padva: A former ballerina and close friend of Chandresh's late mother, she is on of the founding members of the Night Circus. She's also the costume designer for the performers. Played by Frances de La Tour
12. Lainie Burgess: One of the Burgess sisters and a founding member of the Night Circus. Later also the love interest of Mr. Barris. Played by Helena Bonham-Carter
There were some characters I couldn't cast. I just couldn't think of the right people that would fit the role. But if any of you readers can think of a suitable person, please go ahead and suggest them in the comments section. Here's the list of characters not included in the above list:
1. Chandresh Christophe Lefevre: The Indo-French proprietor of The Night Circus. His was the idea to start a unique project that would garner tremendous public response.
2. Tara Burgess: Lainie's sister and, though not a twin, almost never left her sister's side. Also the reciever of Mr. Bariss's affections before her untimely death.
3. Winston (Widget) Murray [young and 16 year old]: Poppet's twin and the only other child in the circus. He can look into people's pasts just by touching them.
4. Tsukiko: The mysterious contortionist who has weird runes and symbols tattooed over her body. She definitely knows more than she lets on.